You know I love to keep it colorful and this recipe doesn’t disappoint! These colorful vegan “sushi” bowls are a fun twist on traditional sushi that come together in just minutes. Perfect for a quick weeknight meal or meal prep, they pack in plenty of plant-based protein and healthy fats to keep you feeling full and satisfied.
To make this recipe, you’re going to need some cooked brown rice, a carrot, a cucumber (I prefer English cucumber or mini Persian cucumbers), frozen edamame, purple cabbage (you can buy pre-shredded to save time if you’re feeling extra lazy!), scallions/green onions, cilantro, sesame seeds, tamari or soy sauce, rice vinegar, fresh ginger, and sesame oil. You’ll combine the rice and veggies and then make the sauce and toss to combine.
This combination is not only beautiful; it’s also nutritious. The brown rice is a good source of fiber, manganese, magnesium and selenium. Carrots are high in beta carotene, which the body converts into vitamin A. They also contain antioxidants, fiber and vitamins (2). The cucumbers are mostly water (which helps you stay hydrated) but also provide vitamin K, potassium and antioxidants. Edamame is a soybean that provides protein, fiber, folate, magnesium and more. Cabbage is high in vitamin C, fiber and antioxidants. And the scallions provide vitamin K, folate, antioxidants and more.
You can make this recipe your own by adding or substituting for different veggies. It would also be great with avocado, sliced radishes, seaweed salad, or even tofu just to name a few ideas!
Enjoy these healthy and flavor-packed vegan “sushi” bowls! See the full recipe below. Let me know if you try this recipe and subscribe to my page for more recipes and health and wellness posts!
Vegan “Sushi” Bowls
- 2 cups brown rice cooked
- 1 carrot peeled & shredded
- 1 cucumber peeled & shredded
- ½ cup frozen edamame thawed
- ½ cup red cabbage shredded
- ¼ cup scallions/green onions chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
- ¼ cup tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh ginger grated
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- In a medium bowl, combine the brown rice, carrot, cucumber, edamame, cabbage, scallions, and cilantro. Toss to combine.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the tamari, rice vinegar, ginger, and sesame oil.
- To assemble each bowl, place 1/2 cup of the rice mixture into a bowl and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the dressing. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the toasted sesame seeds on top. Serve immediately with extra dressing on the side.