This recipe is a serious obsession of mine and I’ve made tons of different variations of it, from mixing up the add-ins to switching up the grains (couscous and farro are SO good as a substitute for the orzo). You really can’t go wrong with these ingredients and it’s the perfect summer side dish or even meal. I love it alongside salmon or a Greek seasoned chicken breast.
It’s one of those recipes you can keep adding more ingredients to your base throughout the week to stretch it out. Just add some more chopped cucumber, arugula, a few tomatoes, and some more olive oil to your already prepared salad and you’ve got enough for another side dish this week.
This recipe is nutritious, light and refreshing, and full of different flavors & textures. With its combination of the light lemon & olive oil dressing and the fresh herbs and vegetables, it’s the perfect dish to bring to all of those summer barbecues. All of your friends will be begging you for the recipe.
Also, I’m sure you’ve heard that the “Mediterranean diet” is one of the healthiest ones out there! Consuming lots of vegetables, whole grains and legumes, & healthy fats such as the olive oil in this recipe can help support a healthier lifestyle and promote cardiovascular & digestive health, as well as promote brain function and possibly even prevent cancer. Read more about the Mediterranean diet here.
See the full recipe below! Let me know if you try it and subscribe to my page for more recipes and health and wellness posts!
Mediterranean Orzo Salad
- 2 cups cooked orzo pasta, chilled
- 1-2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 English cucumber or two Persian cucumbers Cut into similar size as tomatoes
- 1 can garbanzos/chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 2 tbsp pitted kalamata olives
- 2 tbsp feta cheese or vegan substitute
- 2 tbsp chopped marinated artichoke hearts
- 1-2 tbsp chopped red onion
- 1-2 tbsp sun dried tomatoes (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1-2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 3 cups fresh arugula
- Juice of 1-2 lemons
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients (except arugula) to a large bowl & toss to combine
- Add arugula just before serving and toss again (keeps arugula from getting soggy)
- Add additional lemon juice and/or olive oil if needed