I figured it was about time I wrote a post about coffee, since it’s part of my namesake: Café con Kettlebells. Coffee’s been getting a bad rap these days in the wellness world, and, well, I personally just can’t go without it! After having lived in the coffee growing region of Colombia for 3 years, it’s one of my favorite things. There’s not much that I love more than sipping on a cup of fresh coffee first thing in the morning.
Coffee is truly one of the most popular beverages in the world. It’s estimated that approximately 2 billion people enjoy coffee every day worldwide. But there’s been a lot of question of whether it’s good for your health or not these days. Here are some of the pros and cons of drinking coffee:
Pros of Coffee:
• Coffee contains antioxidants that can help fight cell damage and chronic diseases like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s. Coffee antioxidants include caffeic acid, quinic acid and melanoidins (1).
• Coffee can improve energy levels and alertness by stimulating the nervous system. The caffeine in coffee blocks adenosine receptors in the brain that make you feel tired (2).
• Studies show that coffee drinkers have a lower risk of type 2 diabetes. The caffeine and chemicals in coffee can increase insulin sensitivity and glucose tolerance (3).
Cons of Coffee:
• Too much caffeine can cause anxiety, insomnia, tremors, irritability, elevated heart rate and high blood pressure (4).
• Excessive coffee consumption can leach calcium, magnesium and other nutrients from the body and negatively impact bone health (5).
In summary, coffee in moderation (up to 3 to 4 cups a day) for most healthy adults seems to provide more health benefits than risks. But it’s important to listen to your body and cut back if you notice any negative side effects.
I hope you enjoyed this post! Let me know what you think – are you pro-coffee or not? Thanks for reading and be sure to subscribe to my page for more health and wellness posts!