If you’ve been searching for a vegan pasta recipe that is feels like comfort food, but actually has some protein AND packs a nutritious punch, then look no further!
This “beans and greens” pesto is so simple to make and so delicious. It’s got a light and refreshing taste, while also being filling and comforting. I also love the bright color the sauce takes on with the combination of the greens and basil. Enjoy this sauce on its own with your favorite pasta, or add some sautéed vegetables for some extra texture and nutrients.
I love sneaking in nutritious foods to my favorite comfort foods like pastas and smoothies. The green leafy vegetables in this recipe are rich in vitamins and minerals that support your immune system. They also support healthy vision and skin, help maintain a healthy weight, and are rich in antioxidants that are linked to disease and cancer prevention. Read more about the benefits of green leafy vegetables here.
In addition to the greens in this recipe, the beans add another boost of nutrition. White beans are full of protein, iron, fiber, and copper (source). They’re also low in fat, which makes them a great protein source to add into lots of recipes. Who doesn’t love a guilt-free comfort food recipe?
To make this recipe, simply blend together all of the ingredients in a food processor (click to get the Kitchenaid 7-cup food processor) or blender (click to get the Ninja Nutri Professional Personal Blender set). Then, add in some pasta water or lemon juice as needed to get the consistency you desire. Finally, combine with freshly made pasta, drizzle with olive oil, and enjoy!
See the full recipe below! Let me know if you try this recipe and subscribe to my page for more recipes and health and wellness posts!
Vegan “Beans & Greens” Pesto
- 1 food processor or blender
- 1/2 cup cashews raw, unsalted
- 1 tbsp nutrtional yeast
- 1 can great northern/white beans of choice
- 1-2 cups packed fresh basil
- 2 cups packed greens (such as kale and/or spinach)
- 2+ tbsp chopped garlic, to taste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 2-3 lemons
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- Blend up all ingredients in a blender or food processor
- Add pasta water and more lemon juice if needed to get your desired consistency
- Serve with your favorite pasta, another pinch of red pepper flakes and a drizzle of olive oil and enjoy!