This recipe is fresh and flavorful, colorful and nutritious. It’s packed with fresh herbs, spices, and brightly colored vegetables. The dressing is one that you’re going to want to use with so many other recipes, too! And who can resist a good crunchy slaw recipe?
I love adding in crunchy and nutritious vegetables to my recipes. The cucumbers in this recipe are hydrating and refreshing. They boast a high water content (95%!) and are also low in calories, making them a great addition to this and many other recipes. Cabbage is another hydrating plant source that is also high in fiber and many other nutrients (source). Carrots are also full of vitamins that support a healthy body. Plus, people have also been talking about the many benefits of dill lately. Did you know that it can boost your immunity, improve sleep quality, improve your digestion and more? Read more here.
The base: cucumber, carrots, and red cabbage. First, peel your carrot and slice it, along with the cucumber into matchstick size pieces. Next, cut the cabbage into pieces of about the same size. Then, add your fresh chopped mint and dill.
Next, we’ll make the dressing. This is the BEST part of the recipe. I’ve been really into trying to make interesting tasting sauces and dressings lately and I made a similar version of this dressing recently as a sauce for roasted carrots. Feel free to steal the dressing recipe to use with your own roasted carrots or even with sweet potato fries! It’s SO good.
So, to make the dressing, combine your yogurt (you can obviously make this with regular yogurt instead of vegan yogurt if that is your preference!), lemon juice, more fresh dill and mint, tahini, ground turmeric and ginger, a bit of honey or agave, the apple cider vinegar, and some salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe is the perfect refreshing side dish to your summer barbecue and is a sure way to impress your guests!
Get the full recipe below! Let me know if you try this recipe and subscribe to my page for more recipes and health and wellness-related posts!
Creamy Vegan Slaw
- 1/2 English cucumber cut in matchsticks
- 1-2 carrots peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1/3 red cabbage cut into strips (about size of cucumber and carrot pieces)
- 1-2 tbsp fresh mint chopped
- 1-2 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 1 1/2 cups vegan plain yogurt I used cashew yogurt
- 1/2 tbsp fresh mint chopped
- 1/2 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 1/2-1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp tahini
- 1 tsp honey (or agave)
- 1-2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- salt & pepper to taste
- Prep salad ingredients and add to a large bowl
- Add dressing ingredients to a small bowl, mix until well combined.
- Add about 2-3 tbsp of the dressing to your salad mixture and mix well.
- Serve and enjoy.
- **Store leftover dressing in an air tight container such as a mason jar in the refrigerator. Enjoy within 5 days. Leftover salad should be enjoyed within 2-3 days.
Toss some of the dressing together with your salad base and you have a beautiful slaw that is sure to impress! Let me know how you like it! Enjoy!
I posted this recipe on my socials as well. See links below and be sure to follow me! @cafeconkettlebells